Cycling with 'Brittle Knees'
Louise Watmough
2004-08-15 00:15:38 UTC

Some people may of heard of me before, i almost became a professiona
climber. My knees put pay to that :O(

Do you think i can acheive pro status in cycling with bad knees

Any points of view welcome

Louise Watmoug

Louise Watmough
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee
2004-08-15 05:44:40 UTC
It won't be kneesily done and you will kneed some money.
Maybe you should open a joint account??
Simon Brooke
2004-08-15 09:08:02 UTC
in message <***@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com>,
Louise Watmough
Some people may of heard of me before, i almost became a professional
climber. My knees put pay to that :O(.
Do you think i can acheive pro status in cycling with bad knees?
I think this is a question for a sports physiotherapist. However, if you
develop a good 'spinning' style of pedalling (i.e. pedalling at high
cadence - RPM - in lower gears) the strain on your knees is very low,
and, indeed, the constant movement without sudden shocks and jars tends
to polish the joints.

One of the reasons I took up cycling distances in my twenties was that
at that age I already had slight arthritis in my hips, which could be
very painful. Now, at 48, it so long since I had any pain in my hips
that I can't remember it.

Most good cross country mountain bikers spin, and so does Lance
Armstrong - so you can win things spinning *and* improve mobility in
your joints at the same time.
--
***@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

[ This .sig subject to change without notice ]
Arthur Clune
2004-08-15 13:51:51 UTC
Simon Brooke <***@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:

: Most good cross country mountain bikers spin, and so does Lance
: Armstrong - so you can win things spinning *and* improve mobility in
: your joints at the same time.

Hm. All bunched races have to jump in a big gear sometimes though.
Even Lance leaves it in the big ring to charge over a short
rise, standing on the pedals sometimes.

Really, you need to get professional advice on this. One important
point to consider is that road and MTB racing involves crashes.
Landing on your knees could well be bad.

TT'ing would be ok though since you could keep the cadence high.

I fear I've never heard of you before though.

Arthur
--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Mark South
Except possibly as Scott or Nora....
Tony Raven
2004-08-15 21:00:04 UTC
Post by Arthur Clune
I fear I've never heard of you before though.
...or brittle knees, and neither it seems has Google.

Tony